Warm weather all year round, a relaxed culture, delicious food, living on Curaçao seems like the dream, but there is a lot involved. What do you need to know and prepare before you emigrate to Curaçao? Fun Curaçao tells it all in this blog.
First of all, it is important that you have a valid passport that does not expire within 6 months when you leave for Curaçao. You must also deregister in your own country at the municipality where you currently live. It is also important to request proof of this before you register in Curaçao.
To live and work in Curaçao you must be in possession of a residence permit (officially a Declaration of Law). To get it you need to take a few steps:
First of all, it is important that you have a valid residence permit. Because Curaçao falls under the Kingdom of the Netherlands, it is possible for Dutch people to stay on the island for 6 months as a tourist without working9(!). As soon as you temporarily start working in Curaçao or start living in Curaçao, you will need a declaration by operation of law. This consists of:
- Birth certificate (not older than 6 months)
- Copy of valid passport
- Proof of marital status (in case of marriage, the marriage certificate, in case of cohabitation, the cohabitation agreement)
- Proof of payment of legal fees to the government in Curaçao
- Statement of behavior (not older than 3 months)
- Employer's statement of your new job in Curaçao. Don't you have it/not yet? Then you need proof that you can support yourself (solvency statement).
Nice to know: Going to Curaçao with the whole family? If you have children who emigrate with you, you must have proof of registration or registration at a school in Curaçao. All costs associated with a residence permit are the same for adults as for children. The costs can therefore be higher than you would expect.
Living on Curaçao
If you are going to live on Curaçao, accommodation cannot of course be interrupted. You can choose to rent a house for a few months. This way you can look around in which neighborhood you want to live and who knows, maybe your dream home will be for sale during this period!
If you are going to emigrate to Curaçao, it is also useful to integrate yourself with the local population. Learn the basic words and phrases in it here Papiamento. Would you like to know more about the culture on Curaçao? Read that in this blog!
Starting a company in Curaçao
Emigrate to Curaçao and set up your own company? This is certainly also an opportunity to start your new life on Curaçao. Curaçao encourages companies from abroad to set up a company. They do this by applying a low tax policy. There are also a number of things that you should take into account before starting a business:
- Pay close attention to which permits you need to start your business. It may take a while for everything to be completed.
- New entrepreneurs from abroad have an advantage that they are very welcome. There are a number of company forms in Curaçao that have a favorable financial arrangement. Make sure you know what your company falls under and what benefits you and Curaçao the most.
- A Curaçao bank account cannot be opened just like that. To prevent money laundering and other criminal practices, there are strict rules for opening a new account on the island.
Nice to know: Curaçao is well located for international business with the Caribbean, North and South America. These countries are easy to reach due to the port and airport. A business trip to Miami doesn't sound bad either.
CuraBon, permit for Curaçao
Need help with your emigration process to Curaçao? Then take a look at the website CuraBon. They are familiar with all residence permits for all nationalities.