Is Curacao expensive?
A frequently asked question, how expensive is Curaçao?
Curaçao is a beautiful holiday destination, but it is not cheap. The costs of accommodation, food and activities are often higher than in other countries. The costs for the flight ticket to Curaçao are also often more expensive than to other destinations. If you are looking for an affordable vacation, Curacao is probably not the best option. But of course there are also low budget options on the island.
You can generally compare the prices on Curaçao with the Netherlands, slightly more expensive in some areas and slightly cheaper in others. If you go to the tourist spots of the island, the prices are logically higher than the local spots, but you can combine this nicely in Curaçao. You can make Curaçao as expensive and as cheap as you want.
Saving tips on Curaçao
- Groceries are generally expensive in Curaçao because many products have to be imported. The most expensive supermarket on the island is the Albert Heijn which is called on Curaçao ”Vanden Tweel” if you want to watch your expenses avoid this supermarket and go to; Centre, Joyful Hill or to one of the many Chinese supermarkets.
- Go to the free beaches come on! On Curaçao you often have to pay an entrance fee for the beach + your bed. For free access you can go to the following beaches:
- Santa Cruz
- Playa Kalki
- Marie Pampoen
- Grote Knip
- Little Cut
- Playa Forti
- Playa Lagun
- Go the happy hours off! On Curaçao there is one somewhere every day happy hour so keep an eye out for these! This really saves your wallet. Check our events and happy hour calendar!
- Go out for dinner at local restaurants or to trucki pan’s, this often saves a lot of money and it is also super tasty and fun to dive into the Antillean culture a bit, right? Tip: Feel like pasta? Go on Tuesday ”viva la pasta” evening at restaurant De Heeren, here you can enjoy a large plate full of delicious pasta for 10 euros.
- Book your holiday early in advance, this usually saves a lot of money!
What does Curaçao have to offer?
Curaçao has a lot to offer. There are many beautiful beaches, colorful street art, a lively nightlife, a wide range water sports activities, various shopping centres, a lot eateries, many historic buildings, museums and much more. The island also offers many opportunities for exploring the underwater world, including snorkeling, diving and kayaking. There are many different tours you can book these through Fun Curaçao, including jeep and walking tours, boat trips to Klein Curaçao and more.|
The official languages on Curaçao are Dutch and Papiamento. Papiamento is a mix of many languages; Portuguese, Spanish, Dutch, French, English & Afrikaans.
Nice and easy! You can just speak Dutch on vacation!
Yes groceries in Curaçao are even more expensive than in the Netherlands. You can do the best Albert Heijn (Van den Tweel) avoid and go to the cheaper supermarkets like; Mangusa, Joyful Hill and Centre to go. Products on Curaçao are so expensive because a lot has to be imported, meat is generally a lot cheaper than in the Netherlands.
In general, Curaçao is safe for tourists, there are of course always certain neighborhoods that you should avoid and it is better not to show off your expensive stuff, but that is also the case in many places in Europe. Tip; Do you have a rental car? Then do not leave any belongings in your car and always put an extra steering lock on your car steering wheel to prevent theft.